The CRD100 is a fourth generation seafloor drill designed to operate in waters down to 3000m for geotechnical surveys, mineral exploration and methane gas hydrates sampling.
Designed on proven subsystems from previous projects, the CRD100 provides an unprecedented level of automation that facilitates efficient core sampling and Cone Penetration Testing (CPT) measurements. A wireline tool system further enhances the speed of deep borehole drilling. CPT results are transmitted to the surface in real time, allowing sampling profiles to be optimized as the drill program progresses.
The tool carousel supports standard Commercial off The Shelf (COTS) size H tooling providing ø60 mm core samples. Custom carousels can be supplied to support mission specific tools up to ø160 mm outside diameter.
An integrated navigation, maneuvering and landing package allows the drill to be accurately deployed without any need for an external Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV). A suite of sensors including a precision depth sensor, altimeters and altitude sensors provide real time feedback to the surface operators during the landing of the drill. This is supplemented with landing cameras. Hydraulically adjustable legs allow the drill to be leveled on slopes up to 30°.
During drilling and sampling, a full spread of cameras and sensors provide the operator with information on all of the sub-systems and enables user intervention as required.
- 96 x 1.5 m size H tool capacity
- Capacity to support up to 65 m of continuous core sampling (with 12 m of casing)
- 1 m3 drilling mud concentrate
– In stream mud mixing
- 100 kN push & pull force
- Sampling: Wireline / Push / Piston
- CPT: Wireline (10 & 15 cm2)
- 85 HP (Hydraulic) HPU
- 3000m Water depth
- Real time telemetry and control
- Autonomous tool handling
- Maneuvering thrusters
- Leveling legs up to 30° slopes
- Optional navigation suite including DVL, sidescan sonar and Inertial Navigation System (INS)
- Deployed size: 2.4 m x 3.5 m x 5.5 m
- Shipping size: 2.4 m x 2.4 m x 5.5 m (suitable for shipping in a 20’ ISO container)
- Weight in air: 13.5 Te (with full tool set)
- Weight in water: 10.5 Te